Why Choose UMKC?
More Career Options
- Contribute to the future of nursing and health care by earning a Ph.D. from the UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies. Our programs will put you on the path to professional growth, leadership and social advocacy.
- Our Ph.D. program is an affordable, nationally ranked program that is completed online with only two required campus visits. Work from the comfort of your own home, while receiving a great quality education.
- The UMKC Ph.D. program is recognized for its innovative and effective use of technology. Our program will ensure you are up-to-date with the latest in nursing and health care.
- UMKC is one of 30 Universities in the U.S. that has nursing, medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy degree programs on the same campus; thus interprofessional collaboration with faculty from other health care disciplines, for educational and research activities, is possible. We have prominent faculty engaged in research at local, national, and international levels. Our faculty are on-line certified thus insuring a positive learning experience.
- Our program is also extremely affordable. We offer in-state tuition in states we are authorized to deliver our program. U.S. News & World Report recognized us as one of the top 10 schools in the nation for affordable online graduate nursing programs.
How Does The Program Work?
A UMKC Ph.D. in Nursing prepares nurse scientists, capable of performing original research using a variety of methodologies. We develop nurse leaders for research and academic careers, adept at advancing the discipline of nursing through research, education, and improvement in health care outcomes.
Our faculty will guide your experience as you develop a plan of study and begin your research career. The program offers you a chance to explore a subject you’re passionate about while contributing to the overall health care industry. Our curriculum is designed to prepare you for a career in research, academia, or health care leadership. We have options for a BSN to Ph.D. and Masters to Ph.D.
The Value of Real-World Experience
We understand the value of practical real-world experience, and while many online degrees struggle to offer this, at UMKC we pride ourselves on offering a more interactive experience to our graduate nursing students.
UMKC Ph.D. Options
The UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies Ph.D. Program supports developing nursing knowledge in three distant research areas of focus:
- Clinical / Biological Research
- Health Systems and Outcome Research
- Nursing Education Research
How Much Will It Cost?
Everyone in the UMKC graduate nursing program pays in-state tuition & fees, regardless of where you live.
Financial aid and nursing scholarships are also available.
How Are Classes Conducted?
The Ph.D. in Nursing Program provides a flexible way to learn online.
The Ph.D. program uses Blackboard, which is a Learning Management System for classes. Institutes are conducted in synchronous and asynchronous modes depending on the professor and course.
Ph.D. students are required to attend Summer Institute courses on the UMKC campus, during two consecutive summer semesters. These hands-on Institutes will last several days, however students state they enjoy the face-to-face experience with both the faculty and their classmates.
With assistance from your faculty mentor, you will develop a plan of study and undertake coursework to support that research area. You will be required to take a variety of nursing courses, and also courses in a collaborative discipline that support your research interest. You will engage in scholarly activities throughout the program, such as conference presentations, and publications.
Our Ph.D education is predicated on a strong relationship between the student and faculty throughout the curriculum. Our faculty members are committed to personal attention regardless of geography and are easily accessible.
We designed the graduate programs to give professionals flexibility.
How Do I Apply?
Are you convinced that the UMKC PhD program is right for you? Here is what you need to know to apply and enroll:
- MSN or BSN from an accredited school of nursing
- Current licensure as a registered nurse with licensure in the jurisdiction where clinical study is to be conducted
- UMKC application and PHD supplemental application
- PHD Supplement Form with required documentation
*BSN to PhD will have additional requirements. Please contact us to Learn More.
We are now a part of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) which allows us to offer online programs to students in other SARA states. We are able to accept and enroll students into most of our online programs in 48 states, including Washington, D.C. We highly recommend that you review this information prior to submitting your application.
Applications are processed in the order they are received. Earlier completion of your application increases the likelihood of early acceptance.
- February 16th, 2018 to start coursework in the Summer 2018 semester (June 2018).
- October 15th, 2018 (for early decision/acceptance) to start coursework in the Spring 2019 semester (January 2019) or the Summer 2019 semester (June 2019).
- February 15th, 2019 to start coursework in the Summer 2019 semester (June 2019).
All required materials are due by 5pm CST on the due date.
- UMKC Application and PHD Supplemental Application
- UMKC Application fee and UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies Application Fee
- Official transcripts from every college / university ever attended
- School of Nursing and Health Studies PhD Application, which includes at least:
- GRE results, recommended
- CV or Resume
- Submission of a current unencumbered RN license
- Three letters of professional reference