Why Choose UMKC?
More Career Options
- Contribute to the future of nursing and healthcare by earning a Ph.D. from the UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies. Our programs will put you on the path to professional growth, leadership and social advocacy.
- Our Ph.D. program is an affordable, nationally ranked program that is completed online with only two required campus visits. Work from the comfort of your own home, while receiving a great quality education.
- The UMKC Ph.D. program is recognized for its innovative and effective use of technology. Our program will ensure you are up-to-date with the latest in nursing and healthcare.
- UMKC is one of 30 universities in the U.S. that has nursing, medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy degree programs on the same campus; thus interprofessional collaboration with faculty from other healthcare disciplines, for educational and research activities, is possible. With our diverse, comprehensive learning environment and professional, online certified faculty engaged in research at the local, national, and international levels, our programs are designed to help students professionally thrive.
- Our program offers affordable tuition in states we are authorized to deliver our Ph.D. program. U.S. News & World Report recognized us as one of the top schools in the nation for affordable online graduate nursing programs.
How Does The Program Work?
A UMKC Ph.D. in Nursing prepares nurse scientists, capable of performing original research using a variety of methodologies. We develop nurse leaders for research and academic careers, adept at advancing the discipline of nursing through research, education, and improvement in health care outcomes.
Our faculty will guide your experience as you develop a plan of study and begin your research career. The program offers you a chance to explore a subject you’re passionate about while contributing to the overall health care industry. Our curriculum is designed to prepare you for a career in research, academia, or health care leadership. We have options for a BSN to Ph.D. and Masters to Ph.D.
The Value of Real-World Experience
We understand the value of practical real-world experience, and while many online degrees struggle to offer this, at UMKC we pride ourselves on offering a more interactive experience to our graduate nursing students.
UMKC Ph.D. Options
The UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies Ph.D. Program supports developing nursing knowledge in three distant research areas of focus:
- Clinical / Biological Research
- Health Systems and Outcome Research
- Nursing Education Research
Faculty Research Bios
Is Financial Assistance Available?
UMKC offers scholarships, grants, and loans.
Let us help you navigate your path. Learn about the diverse scholarships and financial aid resources that exist at UMKC, the School of Nursing and Health Studies and from external agencies.
Nurse Faculty Loan Program
The Nurse Faculty Loan Program is a wonderful opportunity for graduate nursing students who wish to educate the next generation of nurses. The program offers partial loan forgiveness for borrowers who graduate and serve as full-time nursing faculty for the prescribed period of time. Loan recipients may cancel 85 percent of the loan over four years in return for serving full time as faculty in any accredited school of nursing.
How Are Classes Conducted?
The Ph.D. in Nursing Program provides a flexible way to learn online.
The Ph.D. program uses Canvas, which is a Learning Management System for classes. Classes are conducted in synchronous and asynchronous modes depending on the professor and course.
Ph.D. students are required to attend Research Institute courses on the UMKC campus. During two consecutive summer semesters, these hands-on institutes provide students with insightful face-to-face experience with both faculty and classmates.
With assistance from your faculty mentor, you will develop a plan of study and undertake coursework to support your research area. You will be required to take a variety of nursing courses, and also courses in a collaborative discipline that support your research interest. You will engage in scholarly activities throughout the program, such as conference presentations, and publications.
Our Ph.D. education is predicated on a strong relationship between the student and faculty throughout the curriculum. Our faculty members are committed to personal attention regardless of geography and are easily accessible.
We designed the graduate programs to give professionals flexibility.
How Do I Apply?
Are you convinced that the UMKC Ph.D. program is right for you? Here is what you need to know to apply and enroll:
- MSN or BSN from an accredited school of nursing
- Current licensure as a registered nurse with licensure in the jurisdiction where the clinical study is to be conducted
- UMKC application and Ph.D. supplemental application
- Ph.D. Supplement Form with required documentation
*BSN to Ph.D. will have additional requirements. Please contact us to Learn More.
We are now a part of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) which allows us to offer online programs to students in other SARA states. We are able to accept and enroll students into most of our online programs in 48 states, including Washington, D.C. We highly recommend that you review this information prior to submitting your application.
Applications are processed in the order they are received. Earlier completion of your application increases the likelihood of early acceptance.
All required materials are due by 5 pm CST on the due date.
- UMKC Application and PHD Supplemental Application
- UMKC Application fee and UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies Application Fee
- Official transcripts from every college / university ever attended
- School of Nursing and Health Studies PhD Application, which includes at least:
- GRE results, recommended
- CV or Resume
- Submission of a current unencumbered RN license
- Three letters of professional reference
Get started today!